Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the ten most popular questions we are asked about ScaleGuard – please click on a question to view the answer.
- How does the ScaleGuard Work?
The ScaleGuard uses modern technology to create an electrical field that changes the behaviour of scale forming calcium. This action stops further scale build up.
- How can I tell if it's working?
In around 4 to 6 weeks, you should notice:
- Scale flaking away from the kettle element and shower rose
- Water often feels silkier
- Water feeling hotter and the ability to turn down the thermostat
- Improved performance of washing machines and dishwashers
- The ability to reduce the amount of soap, shampoo, detergents and cleaners
- Easier cleaning of surfaces, especially baths, basins and sinks
- Where does the scale that is removed go?
It is dissolved gradually into the water and the water goes down the drain.
- Does it affect the drinking water?
Water remains chemically unchanged, retaining the beneficial minerals and tastes the same so you do not need a separate drinking tap.
- Does it require any maintenance?
Once installed, the unit will require no maintenance at all for its expected life span of 10 - 20 years or more.
- What pipe material is suitable?
The unit can be fitted on copper, plastic, steel or lead pipes. The ScaleGuard can be fitted on any pipe size up to 1" external diameter.
- Where should the unit be fitted?
The ideal place is on the rising main so all the water that enters the house is treated, but if necessary, it can be fitted further up the system.
- How much pipe is needed for installation?
To fit the unit, you require 10 cm of straight pipe. This can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal pipe. However, you can treat two pipes with one unit.
- How much does it cost to run?
The unit costs about £5.00 a year in electricity.
- How can I buy one?
You can order ScaleGuard over the phone, by post or online. Please see our Prices and Ordering Page for details.
Click Here to order at the Thames Water Special Price
Or order by phone on Freephone 0800 528 3278